The following is from the Downers Grove District #58 web site on SAMRi. They have taken Dr Ruben Puentedura’s work describing the stages of technology integration and put their own special spin on it for their teachers.
Professional Development: Become SAMRi / What is a SAMRi?
The SAMR Ladder of Questions and Transitions
• What will I gain by replacing the older technology with the new technology?
Substitution to Augmentation:
• Have I added an improvement to the task process that could not be accomplished with the older technology at a fundamental level?
• How does this feature contribute a design?
Augmentation to Modiﬁcation:
• How is the original task being modiﬁed?
• Does this modiﬁcation fundamentally depend upon the new technology?
• How does this modiﬁcation contribute to my design?
Modiﬁcation to Redeﬁnition:
• What is the new task?
• Will any portion of the original task be retained?
• How is the new task uniquely made possible by the new technology?
• How does it contribute to my design?